Sunday, July 8, 2012

I Am A Convert.


Happy Sunday, everyone :)

I was asked today by one of the missionaries that taught me to share with him about how it felt to be a convert and how it affected my life. Almost 2 years ago, I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am grateful for the opportunity now to reflect on how much my life has changed.

As you can imagine, every single aspect of my life changed from the moment I committed to being baptized. The things I did, who I associated with, what I watched, how I dressed, what I consumed, how I thought, how I spent my Sundays… Not a single thing in my life escaped the change. I don’t ever remember any of it being difficult though. It all felt so natural. I knew that I had made the right decision to join the church, so the decisions I made to change my lifestyle just felt natural.

However great my lifestyle changes were, two major changes had the biggest impact on my life then and now, and they continue to effect how I see the world around me today.

The first major change that my conversion brought about was HAPPINESS. The person I was before was not capable of feeling the joy that I now feel on a daily basis. I attribute this happiness to many things, but I think that the gift of the Holy Ghost was the glue that pieced all of my joy together. I am often told that my countenance has changed completely, and I know it to be true. I never used to look at myself and see beauty, but I see myself now as a daughter of God with the light of Christ burning bright in my reflection. Therein lies true beauty. My knowledge of my Heavenly Father and His love for me brings about a peace I never knew existed. The fact that I know my Savior lives, loves me, and knows everything that I am experiencing helps me through the difficult times I have faced and will face. I am happy no matter what situation I am placed in because of the things I know to be true. 

The second greatest change I have experienced was the change in my FAMILY. My love for them has blossomed, and my realization of their importance in my life continues to grow on a daily basis. Life has not always been easy in my family, but the relationship I have with them now has made every single tear, every single moment of struggle and unhappiness completely worth it. Though my parents did not join the church with me, over these past two years, they have developed incredible faith. I never knew that my conversion would shake my family to the core, allowing us to essentially pick up and rebuild our relationships. I see my parents through new eyes. My mom has always been my best friend, but I have gained a greater respect for her as a strong, committed woman who would do anything for those she loves. Her love of God and her beautiful, kind, radiant countenance is something I hope to emulate with my own children. My relationship with my dad was on the rocks for many years, but I think I can safely say that we have weathered the worst of the storms and are now sailing on smooth seas. My dad has become an incredible man, and my respect and love for him is always increasing. His faith has grown so much, and often he says things to me that bring me to tears because I never thought I would hear him utter such words. As a family, we have all grown closer to Heavenly Father. Because of that growth together, the bonds of love and respect have increased immensely. I am so blessed that my conversion strengthened not only my family as a unit, but my parents as individuals.

I am so grateful for all of the blessings I have in my life. I am so blessed to be a member of this church. I know that Heavenly Father loves all of us. I know that my savior lives and sacrificed Himself for us so that we can someday return to live with Heavenly Father. I know that families can be forever. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God who leads our world today. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church on the earth, established by God through Joseph Smith. I know that the temple is the house of the Lord. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that the words contained within are true and applicable to all of us today. I love this gospel so much, and I am eternally grateful to know what I know. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment